Whilst on holiday on the Garden Route, we decided to take a two day holiday within our holiday to spend time at Trogon House and Forest Spa. This little gem is tucked away in the forest at the Crags, east of Plettenberg Bay, just down the road from the Elephant and Monkey Sanctuaries.
How to describe Trogon: small, intimate, tranquil, very close to nature, stylish, extraordinary. The secluded Trogon House offers complete serenity and quiet time to reload your inner strength while the Forest Spa takes care of recuperating your physical well-being.
Beautifully decorated rooms add to the tranquility, with Zulu artifacts adding a touch of local, traditional flair. The glass top roof in the bathroom extends your being one with nature, while each rooms’ open deck draws in the fresh forest scent.
During our visit it rained and thick fogged rolled in from the ocean. This meant cozy log fires instead of lazing by the pool and afternoons reading or taking a nap instead of other more energetic activities. I recommend enjoying drinks and lights snacks in the lounge before dinner where a selection of coffee table books keeps you busy. Dinner is served from 19:00, usually 3-course.
Trogon House was opened in February 2006 with the owner, Mynhardt Bester, on site. This changed in December 2010 when Richard Rorich took over as manager and chef. Marketing and reservations are currently done by Exclusive Serenity, based in Cape Town.
- Trogon consists of 2 lodges, Malabar consisting of 4 rooms (sleeping 8), Tomba consisting of 3 rooms (sleeping 6). From the parking, to and between the lodges, via the forest boma, all linked with elevated wooden walkways
- Each lodge includes a kitchen, lounge, deck and pool – can be booked as individual rooms or per lodge
- Breakfast includes cereal, fresh fruit, cheese and pastries following by a limited choice for your hot breakfast
- Dinner is a la carte from a small selected menu
- Should guests stay at the lodge during the day, a light lunch can be arranged
- Rooms have telephones, TV (selected DSTV bouquet), under floor heating, mini bar & tea / coffee facilities
- The forest spa has a sauna and Jacuzzi
- Ideal for romantic getaway, families (children over 8 due to elevated walkways) or small corporate groups
- Rates from R1 705 pp sharing, bed & breakfast (in high season)
- 3 course dinner @ R285, small (& pricey) wine selection
- More information on www.trogonhouse.co.za