The Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport has made the most of its location by introducing quirky aviation-themed elements to the design of the property and its MICE offering. We enlisted the help of PCO, Carla Rossouw, to inspect the facilities.
“GOOD morning and thank you for choosing to fly with Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. We will now commence boarding at Now Media, Gate 1! It is an honour to have you on board this flight and therefore an upgrade to business
class is in order. Please follow our flight pointsman to your specially prepared check-in area. Whilst our elegant flight attendants will be checking you in, please enjoy some pre-flight refreshments.”
This is how groups are welcomed at the Protea Hotel OR Tambo, where staff have taken customer service to a new level. Prepare to be impressed with the aviation themed décor, food, drinks, in-room amenities and striking airport
view, enabling you to see takeoffs, landings and the impressive international aircraft just outside your window. Luckily, bedroom windows, with blackout curtains, are double glazed to drastically reduce take-off and landing noise.
The hotel has an uncluttered, modern and contemporary feel, with an aircraft hangar theme. Floor-to-ceiling windows allow for ample sunlight to enhance the features.
• 213 comfortable bedrooms, including one suite and four universal rooms. Most rooms have a shower only, so ask for a bath if needed. Note that bathrooms are in-room (as opposed to en-suite) and only semi-private. Specify airport- or parking area-facing rooms when making your booking. You have a choice between business-class and first class rooms only… economy class is not good enough for its guests.
• Ample complimentary parking.
• Complimentary airport and Gautrain shuttle between 04h00 and 23h00.
• 24-hour room and bar service and, for the more health-conscious guest, a 24-hour gym facility.
• Complimentary in-room snack or small snack platter is available for individuals or groups upon check in.
• Complimentary 500MB WiFi per room per day for multiple devices.
• Travel desk is available and guests can check flight information on iPads in the lounge.
• The only hotel with a flight simulator available to all guests.
• Currently incorporating the Protea as well as Marriott reward programmes.
• With its proximity to the airport, this hotel is suitable for groups, business as well as leisure guests, including
Conference and function facilities
• Seven boardrooms, ranging from 10 to 40 delegates in various seating styles.
• Three versatile conference rooms, ranging from 120 to 300 delegates in various seating
• Most of the venues have natural light and modern built-in screens, data projectors and sound
• Outdoor area next to pool can accommodate 200-plus guests.
• Variety of function options for private dinners, themed functions and outdoor function space,
including garden picnics, spit braais and alfresco lunches.
• Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport is well geared to the trend for more healthy menus and specific
Our journey started on entering the hotel and receiving a very refreshing and unusual signature
welcome drink, but their secret is safe with me – you will have to check in to experience this first
hand. The creative à la carte, buffet and group menus are in the capable hands of executive chef,
Coovashan Pillay. Menus are flexible and can be tailored around clients’ specific requirements.
The combination of conference rooms, hotel rooms and garden space together with the proximity to the airport, allow Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport to be a multifunctional venue for corporate group meetings, conferences and events. It is important to distinguish yourself from the competition and Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport accomplishes this with flying colours – a combination of passionate and competent staff under the expert guidance of gm, Natalie Botha, with personal approach, creativity and flexibility… definitely a winning combination.
To view the published review, click here. review-protea-hotel-or-tambo
This review is also published in the October issue of Travel Buyer. Click here.