Luxury train travel in South Africa….The Blue Train has been serving tourists since 1946. However, the current product had its inception in 1997.
At present The Blue Train has a Monday morning departure from Pretoria Station arriving in Cape Town on Tuesday afternoon and a return journey departing Cape Town on Wednesday morning, arriving in Pretoria on Thursday afternoon. There is also a scheduled trip between Pretoria and Hoedspruit a few times during the year.
- Scheduled Pretoria to Cape Town or return journey, 1 night on the train. Stop in Kimberley on the way down, stop in Matjiesfontein on the way up from Cape Town
- Scheduled Pretoria to Hoedspruit or return journey, day journey
- Maximum capacity of 82 passengers
- Suitable or couples, families including children and groups
- In between scheduled trips available for private charter
- 2 room categories, deluxe with shower, luxury with shower & bath, compartment chairs converted into beds during dinner service. Duke & Forsyth bathroom ameneties
- Rates: High Season from 01 Sep – 15 Nov, Deluxe R19 130 pp, Luxury R23 285 pp. Low Season from 1 Jan – 31 Aug as well as 16 Nov – 31 Dec, Deluxe R15 500, Luxury R18 710. Add 50% of rate for single supplement. 1 night’s accommodation on a bed & breakfast basis is available before or after your journey when booking through the Blue Train reservation office. Hotel options in Pretoria: Sheraton & Castello di Monti, Hotel options in Cape Town: Westin & Taj. Rates include all meals and unlimited drinks. French champagne excluded
- Dress, smart casual with smart dress during dinner. (Men with jacket & tie)
- Wifi on board, 100MG per person per day. Signal strength varies
- TV in room
- Aircon in room
- Windows in compartments and passages can not open
- Closed-in observation car (can also accommodate a conference for 22 pax), separate lounge car (1 x smoking, 1 x non-smoking)
- Dining car, 2 scheduled seating times for lunch and dinner. Passengers can request a specific time
Carla Rossouw was a guest of The Blue Train in July 2017, by invitation.
Contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions and bookings.